Remote work is now the default mode for progressive companies. Covid 19 introduced constraints on office work and it's now better and more effective if employees work from home. Even before Covid, however, some companies were already moving away from office work and hiring more and more remote workers because it's beneficial to do so. However, remote work is not always conducive for every company and it's also now a trend for a company to have some sort of balance in its workspace where there is a partial remote work.
Benefits of remote work
Here is why companies are opting or considering remote work.
- Work-Life Balance - Working at home lessens the everyday burden of preparing for work. One can work on their own time, especially software developers, and this allows employees to venture out and do some other hobbies of their own without sacrificing work. With office work, on the other hand, it's impossible to balance life and work as you'll be at work the whole day and you come home exhausted.
- Employee well-being - Remote work improves employees' well-being. No stressing over commuting, launch and one will have more time with their loved ones.
- Increase in productivity - A lot of people think they will be more productive if they work from home. The freedom that one is presented with when working from home can promote productivity in a lot of people, however, this is not always the case. There are some people who still prefer office work because they find it more productive.
- Saves money - There are a lot of costs that a company incurs with office work like rent, water, food and electricity bills. Remote work can help remove all these costs and divert them to employees' compensation instead.
- Talent attraction - The top talent is now more interested in remote work because of all the good things and flexibility it brings. If you want to attract the top brass of talent then you should consider allowing remote work.
In a nutshell, remote work is beneficial, but it has to be supported by a workforce that can work with great autonomy.
Where you can find remote jobs
Weworkremotely is one of the top remote job sites, you can find full-stack programming, design, sales and marketing as well as executive job offerings from companies around the world. It has over 3M visitors a month, and many developers rely on it for remote and permanent jobs. However, if you're looking for a side gig, then weworkremotely is not for you, try Fiverr or Upwork.
Stackoverflow is well known as a forum for software developers. It also has a jobs section with an advanced search for remote jobs worldwide. As a number 1 destination for developers, international companies rely on Stackoverflow to attract talent from everywhere.
Remote OK considers itself the #1 digital jobs board on the internet. Remoteok reaches more than 900,000 remote job seekers per month. You can subscribe to the jobs feeds with your email address or you can browse the jobs on their website and social media platforms
You can filter your jobs by companies, position, programming languages, or industry.
Upwork is one of the well known remote job sites, It is an international freelancing marketplace that connects businesses to freelancers to produce work and collaborates remotely.
Upwork has Content Writing Video Editing, Web Design, Research, and Programming.
You can also take Proficiency Tests and sharpen your skills to get noticed on Upwork. All job offers on Upwork are filtered by the qualifications.
FlexJobs has many job listings and a very easy and convenient search function. FlexJobs also has job offers for many categories. You can also find coaching and career help from flexjobs team.
Nerdlify is a platform where companies or entrepreneurs hire developers for their small to large projects. You can access many senior, experienced programmers, developers, marketers, writers and designers in Africa. You can find and apply for job requests posted by other freelancers.
Workaline is similar to Workly. It is a job aggregator with job listings from StackOverflow, weworkremotely, and hacker news jobs. You can subscribe to their daily jobs feed with your prefered job position and the technologies you use.
8. Working Nomads
Working Nomads curates remote digital jobs from around the web. From human resources to system administrators, you can easily find jobs that suit your profession. You can also sign up for their daily or weekly job emails and you'll be notified when a new job that suits you is posted.
Remotive has a comprehensive list of jobs. They also have a newsletter for open remote positions.